RM Sotheby’s announced a unique 1993 Isdera Commendatore 112i and special Lamborghinis for the Paris 2021 classic car auction.
A unique 1993 Isdera Commendatore 112i powered by a 6.0-liter Mercedes-Benz M120 V-12 engine capable of in excess of 400 bhp is the first top car announced for the RM Sotheby’s Paris classic car auction in February 2021. Further top cars include a collection of single-owner collection of Lamborghinis including a Miura and Countach LP400 ‘Periscopio’.
RM Sotheby’s Paris 2021 Classic Car Auction
RM Sotheby’s Paris 2021 classic car auction will be held in two parts: a live streamed sale on 13 February 2021 followed by an online-only, time-based sale. Although Paris Rétromobile Week 2021 has been postponed from the usual early February date to June 2021, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams, and Artcurial will still have auctions in February.
In 2020, RM Sotheby’s earned €16.5 million at its Paris sale with a sell-through rate of 75%. In 2019, RM Sotheby’s earned more than €32.4 million with a sell-through rate of 79%. In 2018, RM Sotheby’s earned €23,745,335 with a fairly strong 83% sell-through rate. In 2017, RM Sotheby’s achieved a gross sale total of €27,576,400 ($29,451,595) with a sell-through rate of 78%. In 2016, RM Sotheby’s grossed €19 million with a sell-through rate of 79%.
1993 Isdera Commendatore 112i
A unique 1993 Isdera Commendatore 112i is the first car announced for the RM Sotheby’s Paris 2021 classic car auction. This is a ‘unicorn,’ not as much extremely rare as completely unique.
The 1993 Isdera Commendatore 112i was constructed by the Germany-based, boutique supercar manufacturer, Isdera. Isdera was the brainchild of Eberhard Schulz, an innovative engineer and designer who created his first sports car, the Erator GTE, in 1971. He went on to work for Porsche before joining B&B GmbH & Co Auto KG in Frankfurt/Main. In 1978 B&B developed and built a prototype car, the CW311, which featured Mercedes-Benz mechanicals and was shown in 1978 at the IAA at Frankfurt.
In 1982 Schulz set up his own company for small-series production, design and engineering services and named it Isdera. The company first launched the Isdera Spyder, but Schulz wanted to develop a production version of the CW311, and in 1983 launched the Imperator 108i, of which less than 20 examples were produced between 1983 and 1991.
Isdera then developed and launched the Commendatore 112i, named in honor of Enzo Ferrari, which featured a 6.0-liter Mercedes-Benz M120 V-12 engine capable of in excess of 400 bhp. Power was delivered to the rear wheels via a bespoke flywheel, using a specially adapted version of a six-speed RUF Porsche gearbox. Featuring low-slung GRP bodywork, the car was tested in the Mercedes-Benz wind tunnel and returned a drag coefficient of just 0.306, which unlocked a top speed north of 200 mph.
After fresh investment from a Swiss consortium, the Commendatore appeared at the 1999 Frankfurt IAA six years later, under a new name— ‘the Silver Arrow’, in an altered specification. The car was also featured in the 1997 videogame Need for Speed II for Playstation and PC, helping to build its cult following.
In 2016, Isdera managed to re-acquire the car and set about returning it to its correct and original 1993 specification. Offered for sale in this specification, the car boasts its correct BBS wheels, Porsche Arctic Silver paintwork, Recaro blue and black trim and the iconic Isdera periscope rearview mirror. Today, it has covered less than 10,500 km from new. Having been rebuilt with road-use in mind, the car is currently registered in Germany and was previously registered in Switzerland, showcasing that this is no museum piece, and a car best enjoyed on the open road. It is accompanied by an intriguing history file, as well as its certificate of authenticity from Isdera, confirming it to be the only example in existence.
Lamborghinis at RM Sotheby’s Paris 2021
RM Sotheby’s also announced for the Paris 2021 auction a single-owner collection of Lamborghinis. All the cars are presented in outstanding restored condition and each one is Polo Storico certified and represents an exceptional example of each model.
The collection comprises:
- 1967 400 GT 2+2 (€450,000 – €550,000)
- 1968 Espada Series 1 (Est. €180,000 – €220,000)
- 1969 Islero GTS (€400,000 – €450,000)
- 1971 Miura P400 SV (Est. €2,100,000 – €2,500,000)
- 1977 Countach LP400 ‘Periscopio’ (Est. €750,000 – €900,000)
- 1984 Countach LP500 S (Est. €300,00 – €350,000)
The collection represents some of the most iconic models that Lamborghini has produced in its history, and the sale of these cars represents an opportunity to acquire examples offered in stunning condition whilst benefiting from official factory certification.
Paris Retromobile Week Auctions 2021
Classic Car Auctions
The traditional Paris Rétromobile Week was postponed from February to early June 2021. The traditional auctions in early February in Paris are expected to take place. Artcurial already announced a further auction for early June during the postponed Rétromoble week 2021.
- Bonhams: Les Grandes Marques à Paris Sale online-only from 3 to 10 March 2021.
- Artcurial: La Parisienne (in partnership with Rétromobile) on 5 February 2021. (Rétromobile Sale on 4 June 2021)
- RM Sotheby’s: Paris Auction live auction on 13 February 2021, followed by an online-only, time-based sale.
Press Releases 2021:
- Artcurial: Le Mans-Winning 1972 Matra MS670
- Artcurial: Top Cars Announced
- Bonhams: Peugeot Darl’mat
- RM Sotheby’s: Isdera Commendatore 112i
- RM Sotheby’s: Blower 1931 Bentley
Paris Rétromobile Week Auction Results 2020:
- 2020 Artcurial Paris Rétromobile Sale (Auction Results)
- 2020 Bonhams Paris Sale (Auction Results)
- 2020 RM Sotheby’s Paris Sale (Auction Results)
Previous Paris Rétromobile Week Auction Results
- 2020 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2019 Paris Auction: Top 20 Results, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2018 Paris Auction Results: General Overview, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2017 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2016 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams, 1957 Ferrari 335 Sport
- 2015 Paris Auction Results: Results Overview, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Auctions
- Results of the 2014 Paris Classic Car Auctions