The Paris Rétromobile Week in early February is the traditional start to the European classic car auctions year with sales by Artcurial, Bonhams, and RM Sotheby’s.
While Bonhams and RM Sotheby’s auctions concentrate mostly at the top end of the market at the Paris Rétromobile week sales, local auctioneer Artcurial Motorcars cover the full spectrum from simple runabouts to the million-dollar sports and racing cars. The atmosphere is quite different from Scottsdale that traditionally opens the American classic car auction year.
Note: In 2022 the Paris Rétromobile is from 16 – 20 March 2022 (postponed from the originally planned 2 to 6 February 2022).
Rétromobile and Artcurial Motorcars Auctions
Rétromobile week is the first major European gathering of classic cars, classic-car enthusiasts, clubs, museums, restorers, and related service providers. Altogether, around 500 cars are on display with around 400 exhibitors, including over 100 clubs.
In 2022, the Salon Rétromobile is held in the Paris Expo at Porte de Versailles from 6 – 20 March 2022 (postponed from the originally planned 2 to 6 February 2022).
The official auction linked to the Rétromobile is by the French auctioneer Artcurial Motorcars. Invariably, it is the Ferraris and classic Mercedes Benz cars that attract the highest prices but far more interesting are often the classic (and much cheaper) French cars on sale – many models are rarely seen on non-European streets.
Artcurial often springs surprises: in 2015, the Baillon Collection of 60 barn-find cars included a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider that sold for a model record €16.3 million ($18.5 million).
Festival Automobile International and RM Sotheby’s Auctions
A second Parisian car event early in the year is the Festival Automobile International with an exhibition of concept cars. It describes itself as the fashion week of cars. Prizes are given in a wide range of categories – beautiful designs are the main criteria; practicality is of no real concern.
The official auction linked to the Festival Automobile International since 2014 is the Paris Sale of RM Sotheby’s Auctions.
Bonhams Les Grandes Marques du Monde
British auctioneer Bonhams started holding annual Paris auctions during the Rétromobile week from 2011. The not immodestly titled Les Grandes Marques du Monde auction is usually held in the Grand Palais in the center of Paris.
Paris Rétromobile Week Auctions 2022
Classic Car Auctions
The traditional Paris Rétromobile Week was postponed from early February to 16 – 20 March 2022. The Artcurial auction was postponed too but currently, Bonhams and RM Sotheby’s are maintaining the early February dates.
- Bonhams: Les Grandes Marques à Paris Sale on 3 February 2022.
- Artcurial: Rétromobile Sale on 18 – 20 March 2022.
- RM Sotheby’s: Paris Auction 2 February 2022.
Paris Auctions 2022 Previews
Paris Auctions 2022 Announcements
- Artcurial: Early Highlights (ex-Fangio Gordini, Peugeot 908)
- Bonhams: Early Highlights (Bugatti Type 57C, LaFerrari, Porsche 904)
- Bonhams: Ex-Schumacher Cars (Tesla & AMG Estate)
- Bonhams: German Racing Sedans (Audi Nardo Speed Record Car)
- RM Sotheby’s: Early Highlights (Ferrari 550 GTC)
- RM Sotheby’s: Petitjean Ferrari Collection (288 GTO, 275 GT/4)
Previous Paris Rétromobile Week Auction Results
- 2021 Artcurial Parisienne Sale Results (Rétromobile was cancelled in 2021)
- 2020 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2019 Paris Auction: Top 20 Results, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2018 Paris Auction Results: General Overview, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2017 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2016 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams, 1957 Ferrari 335 Sport
- 2015 Paris Auction Results: Results Overview, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Auctions
- Results of the 2014 Paris Classic Car Auctions