The Scottsdale and Phoenix collectors’ cars sales in Arizona are the first major classic car auctions each year. Several auction houses, including Barrett-Jackson, Bonhams, Gooding and RM Sotheby’s participate in this weeklong event that usually see well over 2,000 cars on offer.
The first significant collectors’ car auctions of the year are held each mid-January in Scottsdale, Arizona. This weeklong commercial event currently have all major classic car auctioneers competing (except Mecum). RM Auctions, Gooding & Co, Bonhams, and Barrett Jackson regularly achieve over a million dollars on select vehicles but many other smaller auctioneers also participate covering cars in all price classes.
See Scottsdale, Arizona articles for latest announcement and results.
Scottsdale Classic Car Auctions
The annual January classic and collectors’ car auctions in Arizona are generally referred to as Scottsdale, even though many of the sales are in adjacent Phoenix, Arizona. It is the first major classic car event of the year and one of the biggest.
In contrast to many other classic car auction events, the Scottsdale week has purely commercial origins. The auctions have been an annual event since the 1970s but the first Arizona Concours d’Elegance was only held in 2014 but cancelled from 2018 as not commercially viable
Scottsdale, Arizona Classic Car Auction Results
The Scottsdale week is big. The figures for the various auctions held in Scottsdale and Phoenix, Arizona, as calculated by Hagerty, were as follows:
|–||Scottsdale Total*||Barrett-Jackson||Bonhams||Gooding||RM Sotheby’s|
|Earning 2018 ($ million)||247.8||112.3||25.2||49.2||36.0|
|Earnings 2017 ($ million)||259.8||101.0||36.3||33.3||53.7|
|Cars Sold / Offered 2018||2668 / 3176||1709 / 1729||94 / 108||110 / 129||110 / 127|
|Cars Sold / Offered 2017||2899 / 3486||1703 / 1711||86 / 105||105 / 125||142 / 159|
|Sell-Through % 2018||84||99||87||85||87|
|Sell-Through % 2017||83||100||82||84||89|
|Average $ 2018||92,887||65,692||267,649||447,415||327,641|
|Average $ 2017||89,601||59,323||422,376||317,492||378,248|
|Million $ Cars 2018||33||5||7||12||9|
|Million $ Cars 2017||35||2||7||9||15|
*Scottsdale total also include results from Russo and Steele, Worldwide Auctioneers and Silver.
Total numbers for all auctioneers at Scottsdale, Arizona in January 2016 as calculated by Hagerty:
- Total Gains: $250 million
- Cars sold / offered: 2,491 / 3,104
- Sell-Through Rate: 80%
- Average Sale Price: $225,729
In 2015, six auction houses offered 2,939 collector cars for sale and sold 2,500 for a sell-through rate of 86% and an average price per car of $115,729 earning nearly $300 million in total. See 2015 Scottsdale and Arizona Top Classic Car Auction Houses for specifics.
In 2014, the following five participating auction houses grossed $245 million ($226 million in 2013) by selling 1,837 vehicles (2,029 in 2013). RM Auctions earned $45.6 million from 126 lots on offer, Gooding & Co made $49.4 million from 158 lots, and Bonhams $25 million from 101 lots. Barrett Jackson, which held auctions on six days, moved 1,399 cars for a total of $113 million in sales (including the most expensive Corvette ever). Russo and Steele earned $21 million.
The auction record for Scottsdale / Arizona is $9,900,000 achieved by a 1937 Mercedes Benz 540 K Special Roadster by Sindelfingen at the RM Sotheby’s Arizona 2016 auction. The previous record was $9,625,000 paid for a 1964 Ferrari 250 LM sold at the 2015 RM Auctions Arizona sale. This car broke the previous record $9,405,000 set only a day earlier for a 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Competizione at the 2015 Bonhams Scottsdale classic car auction and the $8,800,000 achieved for a 1958 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spider by Scaglietti at the RM Auctions’ Arizona sale in 2014.
Results Achieved at Previous Scottsdale / Arizona Auctions
- 2019 – See Below
- 2018 Scottsdale, Arizona Auction Results: General Overview, Barrett-Jackson, Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- Scottsdale / Phoenix, Arizona 2018 Auction Previews: General Auctions Overview, Barrett Jackson, Bonhams, Gooding & RM Sotheby’s
- Results from Scottsdale, Arizona 2017: Overview, Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Barrett-Jackson
- Results from Scottsdale, Arizona 2016: Barrett-Jackson, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams
- Results from Scottsdale, Arizona 2015: Overview, Top Classic Car Auction Houses, Bonhams, RM Auctions, Gooding, Barrett Jackson
- 2014 Scottsdale & Arizona Collector Car Auction Results
More on Scottsdale 2019 Collector Car Auctions
The first major collector car auction series of the year is traditionally the Scottsdale and Phoenix auctions in Arizona, USA, in mid-January.
Most major car auctioneers have sales in Arizona including Barrett-Jackson, Bonhams, Gooding and RM Sotheby’s. A notable exception is Mecum that start the auction year a few weeks earlier at Kissimmee in Florida.
Scottsdale, Arizona, 2019 Auctions Sale Results
- Scottsdale Arizona 2019 Classic Car Sales – Auctions Results Overview
- Bonhams – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Results
- Gooding – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Results
- RM Sotheby’s – 2019 Arizona Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Charity Lots Results
Scottsdale, Arizona, 2019 Auctions Sale Previews:
- Top Ten Ferraris at Scottsdale, Arizona 2019
- Bonhams – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Preview
- Gooding – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Preview
- RM Sotheby’s – 2019 Arizona Auction Preview
Scottsdale, Arizona, 2019 Auctions Pre-Sale Announcements:
- Bonhams – Ferrari 500 Mondial Spider
- Bonhams – Team Cunningham 1959 Lister-Jaguar Sports Racer
- Bonhams – Miura, Porsche 904 & 356 Carrera Cabriolet
- Gooding – Four Mercedes Benz 300 Classics
- Gooding – Top 1960s Ferraris – including a 275 Prototype & 250 GTB SWB
- Gooding – Top 1950s Ferraris – including a 250 GT Tour de France, 250 MM Spider & 212 Europa Cabriolet
- Gooding – American Muscle Cars – including three Shelby Cobras
- Barrett Jackson – 2019 Ford GT Heritage Edition VIN001
- Barrett-Jackson – 2020 Toyota Supra VIN20201
- Barrett-Jackson – 14 Charity Lots, including four Bumblebee Camaros.
- RM Sotheby’s – Top Ferraris