Carroll Shelby’s personal 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake and a 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 were the top sale results at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale, Arizona, collector car auction in March 2021.
Carroll Shelby’s personal 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake CSX 3015 sold for $5.5 million as the top result at Barrett-Jackson’s 50th Scottsdale, Arizona, collector car auction in March 2021. The second-highest result in the sale was $2.5 million paid for a 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4, followed by $1.21 million for a 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage Edition. Two VIN001 charity lots also sold for over a million dollars: $2.5 million as paid for the first 2022 Hummer EV Edition 1 and $1,075,000 for the first 2021 Ford Bronco 2-door.
Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Collector Car Auction 2021
The Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Auction in January (March in 2021!) is unlike anything else. It’s an all-encompassing automotive festival that celebrates the incredible diversity of the automobile. It’s an event that combines the excitement and thrills of an auction with a continuous variety of activities and events. The 2021 Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction was rescheduled from the usual mid-January to the week of 22 March 2021 at Westworld of Scottsdale, Arizona, USA.
In 2021, Barrett-Jackson sold in total, 1,054 vehicles for over $95 million, while over 1,000 pieces of automobilia brought in over $4.4 million, and $5.8 million was raised through the sale of charity vehicles, bringing the total auction sales to more than $105 million with a 100-percent sell-through rate and over 95 world-record auction sales achieved.
The 2020 Scottsdale Auction was the largest-ever auction held by Barrett-Jackson and its most successful. Over 1,900 Resto-Mods, classics, and supercars sold for more than $129.7 million, and over 1,200 pieces of automobilia brought in well over $3.7 million. The sale of nine charity vehicles – including the first-ever C8 Corvette – raised $7.65 million for great causes.
Top Results at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale March 2021 Sale
The top results at the Barrett-Jackson March 2021 collector car auction for cars selling for over half a million dollars were:
|1966||Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake||5,500,000|
|2022||GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 VIN001||2,500,000|
|1967||Ferrari 275 GTB/4||2,475,000|
|2018||Ford GT ’67 Heritage Edition||1,210,000|
|2021||Ford Bronco 2-Door VIN001||1,075,000|
|1959||Chevrolet Corvette Custom Convertible||825,000|
Carroll Shelby’s Personal Cobra 427 Super Snake Sold at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2021
The top result at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2021 collector car auction was as expected for the only remaining 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake, CSX 3015, (Lot #1396). However, the result of $5,500,00 was probably slightly disappointing. It was exactly the same as what the car sold for at Scottsdale 2007 (!) but more than the $5,115,000 paid for the Shelby in a post-hammer deal at the 2015 Scottsdale auction.
In January 2021, another Cobra Carroll Shelby owned from new until his death, 1965 Shelby 427 Cobra Roadster, CSX 3178, sold for a remarkable $5,940,000, as the top result at the Mecum Kissimmee 2021 collector car auction. Many observers found that result a bit over the top, as the car was modified by Carroll Shelby but returned to its original condition in a complete restoration.
The 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake CSX 3015 is one of only 23 total 427 competition roadsters built. A year later it was transformed for racing legend Carroll Shelby into the Super Snake and reclassified as 427 Cobra Semi-Competition (S.C.). Shelby American added twin Paxton superchargers to the 427ci V8 and mated it to a 3-speed automatic transmission that could handle the massive power. The car was wicked fast and became a cultural icon. The 1965 Shelby Cobra CSX 4000 Series (Lot #1353) continuation car, which was commissioned by Carroll Shelby and was the 21st sold to the public, sold for $209,000.
More Top Car Results at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2021
The second highest on-charity-lot result at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2021 auction was $2,475,000 paid for a highly documented red 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4. This was the third 275 GTB sold thus far in 2021 with the price between the two results Gooding achieved at Scottsdale ($1,936,000) and in London ($2,568.550).
As in 2020, Barrett-Jackson sold two nearly-new Ford GT at Scottsdale 2021. The best result was $1,210,000 paid for a limited-edition 2019 Ford GT ’67 Heritage Edition produced to celebrate the 1967 Le Mans-Winning GT40 Mark IV. The more standard shadow black 2017 Ford GT sold for just below a million dollar. Prices for these models have been softer at recent auctions as more are becoming available while demand seems softer.
Scottsdale and Arizona Car Auctions 2021
Scottsdale & Arizona Auctions 2021
Many auction houses have sales (live, online, or a combination) during the annual Scottsdale week in mid-January (and end March 2021), including amongst others:
- Barett-Jackson: Postponed until the week of 22 March 2021 in Scottsdale, Arizona — live auction.
- Bonhams: 21 January 2021 in Scottsdale, Arizona — live auction.
- Gooding & Company: 22 January 2021 — online only.
- RM Sotheby’s: 22 January 2021 in Scottsdale, Arizona — live auction.
- Russo and Steele: 23 January 2021 in Scottsdale, live but private event with restricted admission.
- Worldwide Auctioneers: 23 January 2021 in Auburn, Indiana (but keeping the Scottsdale auction name!)
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2021 — Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale March 2021 Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale March 2021 Charity Lots Auction Results
- 2021 Scottsdale, Arizona, January Auctions Results Overview
- Bonhams Scottsdale 2021 Auction Results
- Gooding Scottsdale 2021 Auction Results
- RM Sotheby’s Arizona 2021 Auction Results
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2021 — Auction Previews
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2021 — Pre-Auction Announcements:
- Barrett-Jackson: Carroll Shelby’s Personal Cobra 427 Super Snake
- Barrett-Jackson: Reschedule Announcement
- Barrett-Jackson: First Cars Announced
- Bonhams: Early Highlights
- Gooding: Ferrari 275 GTB
- RM Sotheby’s: Early Highlights
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2020 – Auction Results
- 2020 Gooding Scottsdale Sale (Auction Results)
- 2020 RM Sotheby’s Arizona Sale (Auction Results)
- 2020 Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Sale (Charity Lots Auction Results)
- 2020 Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Sale (Auction Results Announcement)
- 2019 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2018 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2017 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview