A 1961 Maserati 5000 GT and 2005 Ford GT were the top results in the Gooding Geared Online Scottsdale 2022 classic car auction.
A 1961 Maserati 5000 GT Coupe, a 2005 Ford GT, and a 1974 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS were the top three results in the Gooding Geared Online Scottsdale Edition 2022 classic car auction.
Gooding Scottsdale Classic Car Online Auction 2022
Gooding & Company, for the second consecutive year, held only an online auction during Scottsdale Automotive Week in January 2022. Cars were available for inspection in California and in Arizona.
- In 2022, Gooding earned $6,962,450 selling 50 of 57 lots for an 88% sell-through rate and average $139,249 per lot.
- In 2021, Gooding earned $7,092,031 from 39 of 49 lots for an 80% sell-through rate and an average price of $181,846 per lot sold.
- In 2020, Gooding earned $35,867,560 by selling 123 of 138 lots for an 89% sell-through rate.
- In 2019, Gooding earned $48 million by selling 105 of 124 lots for a sell-through rate of 85% and an average price of $459,417 per car. The top result was $7,595,000 for a 1963 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta.
- In 2018, Gooding earned $49.2 million by selling 110 of 129 lots for a sell-through rate of 85% and an average price of $447,415 per car. The top result was $8,085,000 for a 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB Speciale.
- In 2017, Gooding gained $33.4 million at the Scottsdale auction by selling 106 of the 126 lots for a sell-through rate of 84%. The top result was $3,300,000 for a 1925 Bugatti Type 35 Grand Prix.
Top Results at Gooding Geared Online Scottsdale 2022
The top five results in the Gooding Geared Online Scottsdale Edition 2022 were:
- 1961 Maserati 5000 GT Coupe, sold for $924,000
- 2005 Ford GT, sold for $423,500
- 1974 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS, sold for $374,000
- 2008 Porsche 997 GT2, sold for $357,500
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette 327/340 Split-Window Coupe, sold for $335,500
Gooding Scottsdale 2022 Results
The top sale of the Gooding online auction was a rare Touring-bodied 1961 Maserati 5000 GT Coupe, which sold for $924,000. This Maserati was the last of three bodied by Touring and was sold in a partially restored edition.
This was followed by the black-on-black 2005 Ford GT offered from single ownership, which achieved a selling price of $423,500. A late-production 1974 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS finished in Rosso Chiaro over black leather took the third top slot, achieving $374,000. A highly desirable, very early production 1972 Mercedes-Benz 350 SL set a new world auction record, selling for $108,900 and far surpassing its high estimate. (RM Sotheby’s raised the 300 SL Gullwing model record to a more profitable $6,825,000.)
An exceptional, unrestored 1963 Chevrolet Corvette 327/340 Split-Window Coupe performed superbly, yielding a figure of $335,500, the second-highest price ever paid for the model at auction.
The pristine, powerful 2008 Porsche 997 GT2 achieved a strong result, bringing in a total figure of $357,500. The 2005 Porsche 996 Turbo S Cabriolet, offered from single ownership with limited use, also exceeded its high estimate, selling for $126,500. Porsches generally performed very well at the various Scottsdale 2022 auctions, which must give Gooding some comfort with the large number of top Porsches already announced for Amelia Island 2022.
Additionally, the auction house sold 100% of lots offered from The Richard Donner Collection, presenting 10 classics from the late Hollywood filmmaker’s personal stable. Mr. Donner’s preferred classic to drive, the 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, performed exceptionally well and sold well above its high estimate for $121,000 after an arduous bidding war.
Gooding (and Bonhams) offered no million-dollar cars in its 2022 Scottsdale online auction leaving the top end of the market open for RM Sotheby’s that sold 12 million-dollar cars in the live Arizona 2022 sale. It will be interesting to see what format Gooding use in 2023.
Scottsdale and Arizona Car Auctions 2022
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2022 — Auction Results:
- RM Sotheby’s Arizona Sale 2022 — Auction Results
- Bonhams Scottsdale Sale 2022 — Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2022 — Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2022 — Charity Lots Results
- Gooding Geared Online Scottsdale 2022 — Auction Results
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2022 — Auction Previews:
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2022 — Pre-Auction Announcements:
- Barrett-Jackson: Shelby Cars
- Barrett-Jackson: Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing
- RM Sotheby’s: Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Alloy Gullwing
- RM Sotheby’s: American Prewar Classics (Duesenberg Model J Tourster)
- RM Sotheby’s: Mercedes-Benz 300 SLs
- RM Sotheby’s: Tenebaum Porsches
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2021 — Auction Results
- 2021 Scottsdale, Arizona, January Auctions Results Overview
- Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale March 2021 Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale March 2021 Charity Lots Auction Results
- Bonhams Scottsdale 2021 Auction Results
- Gooding Scottsdale 2021 Auction Results
- RM Sotheby’s Arizona 2021 Auction Results
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales — Previous Auction Results
- 2020: Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Barrett-Jackson & Barrett-Jackson (Charity Lots).
- 2019 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2018 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2017 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2016: Barrett-Jackson, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams
- 2015 Scottsdale Results Overview
- 2014 Scottsdale & Arizona Collector Car Auction Results
Scottsdale & Arizona Auctions 2022
Many auction houses have sales (live, online, or a combination) during the annual Scottsdale week in mid-late January, including amongst others:
- Barett-Jackson: 22 to 30 January 2022 in Scottsdale, Arizona — live auction.
- Bonhams: 27 January 2022 in Scottsdale, Arizona — live auction.
- Gooding & Company: 26 – 28 January 2022 — online auction but cars on display in Scottsdale (and Van Nuys, California, 18 – 21 January).
- RM Sotheby’s: 27 January 2022 in Phoenix, Arizona — live auction.
- Russo and Steele: 26 – 30 January 2022 in Scottsdale — live auction.
- Worldwide Auctioneers: 26 – 27 January 2022 in Scottsdale — live auction.