Porsches including a 959, 918, and Carrera GT from the Tenebaum Collection are early highlights announced for the RM Sotheby’s Arizona 2022 Scottsdale week auction.
RM Sotheby’s announced the Tenebaum Collection of nine European cars for the forthcoming Arizona 2022 sale during the annual January Scottsdale classic car auction week. The highlights and most expensive cars from this collection are four Porsches: a 1987 Porsche 959, a 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder, a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, and a 1994 Porsche 911 Turbo S Flachbau Targa. Several cars will be offered without a reserve.
→ See also RM Sotheby’s Arizona 2022 Sale Auction Results — several very strong Porsche results!
RM Sotheby’s Arizona (Scottsdale) Sale 2022
RM Sotheby’s Arizona classic car auction: 27 January 2022 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. A traditional live auction is planned.
The annual Arizona auction is usually a good earner:
- In 2021, RM Sotheby’s earned $35,065,900 with a sell-through rate of 90%.
- In 2020, RM Sotheby’s earned $30.4 million at Arizona with a 90% sell-through rate. According to Hagerty, the average sale price was down to $238,507.
- In 2019, RM Sotheby’s earned $37 million with a sell-through rate of 85% of 154 lots on offer. According to Hagerty, the average sale price was $273,710 per car.
- In 2018, RM Sotheby’s grossed $35.8 million by selling 109 cars of 127 offered for a sell-through rate of 86% and an average $328,404 per car. (Hagerty calculations)
- In 2017, RM Sotheby’s earned $54 million from 141 cars offered with a sell-through rate of 89%. RM Sotheby’s sold 15 cars for more than a million dollars.
The Arizona / Scottsdale auction record is $9,900,000 paid for a 1937 Mercedes Benz 540 K Special Roadster by Sindelfingen at the RM Sothebys Arizona 2016 sale.
Tenebaum Collection at RM Sotheby’s Arizona 2022 Sale
The Tenenbaum Collection is an important single-owner collection that will go under the hammer in Arizona. This outstanding collection of European sports and supercars represents some of the very finest examples of Porsche supercars and European classics. The nine cars hold desirable specifications, low production numbers, originality, and unique color combinations.
Owned by an avid enthusiast, the Tenebaum collection consists of:
|1987 Porsche 959||$1,200,000 – $1,500,000|
|2015 Porsche 918 Spyder||$1,200,000 – $1,400,000|
|2005 Porsche Carrera GT||$1,000,000 – $1,300,000||Offered Without Reserve|
|1994 Porsche 911 Turbo S ‘Flachbau’||$800,000 – $1,100,000|
|1989 Porsche 911 Turbo ‘Flachbau’ Targa||$350,000 – $450,000|
|1971 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE 3.5 Cabriolet||$300,000 – $350,000||Offered Without Reserve|
|2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe||$225,000 – $275,000||Offered Without Reserve|
|1969 Jaguar E-Type Series 2 4.2-Litre Roadster||$140,000 – $180,000||Offered Without Reserve|
|1970 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL ‘Pagoda’||$60,000 – $80,000||Offered Without Reserve|
Top Porsches at RM Sotheby’s Arizona / Scottsale 2022 Sale
Four Porsches from the Tenebaum Collection have the potential to exceed a million dollars at the RM Sotheby’s Arizona 2022 auction:
Heading the collection is one of the most iconic and technically advanced cars of its era, a 1987 Porsche 959. The model, which was developed for the fearsome Group B homologation class in the 1980s, wears a Guard Red exterior over black leather. Boasting around 14,000 km and recent restoration work, this 959 will cross the block accompanied by a tool kit and books (Estimate: $1,200,000 – $1,500,000).
The collection also features two further examples of peak Porsche sports car development from subsequent eras. The 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, in classic GT Silver over Ascot Brown leather, has had only three owners from new. With 5,482 miles at the time of cataloging, this well-maintained example will go under the hammer without reserve and to its new home with a seven-piece luggage set (Estimate: $1,000,000 – $1,300,000). Only five Carrera GT cars have ever sold for over a million dollars at public auction — four were sold by Mecum at four different Monterey auctions and one by RM Sotheby’s at Monterey 2019.
The most modern of the trio, the 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder, again represents the peak of sports car technological development available at the time of production. With a mere 1,396 miles on the clock at the time of cataloging and only two registered owners, this limited-production Spyder is stunning in Liquid Chrome Metal Blue over Onyx Black with Acid Green piping (Estimate: $1,200,000 – $1,400,000).
The 1994 Porsche 911 Turbo S ‘Flachbau’, estimate $800,000 – $1,100,000, is a performance version of the 911 rather than a Porsche supercar but it still has the potential to reach a million-dollar, although most Flachbaus fall slightly short. This car is one of 76 built, of which only 39 are in US specifications. It has done 3,800 miles from new.
Scottsdale and Arizona Car Auctions 2022
Scottsdale & Arizona Auctions 2022
Many auction houses have sales (live, online, or a combination) during the annual Scottsdale week in mid-late January, including amongst others:
- Barett-Jackson: 22 to 30 January 2022 in Scottsdale, Arizona — live auction.
- Bonhams: 27 January 2022 in Scottsdale, Arizona — live auction.
- Gooding & Company: 26 – 28 January 2022 — online auction but cars on display in Scottsdale (and Van Nuys, California, 18 – 21 January).
- RM Sotheby’s: 27 January 2022 in Phoenix, Arizona — live auction.
- Russo and Steele: 26 – 30 January 2022 in Scottsdale — live auction.
- Worldwide Auctioneers: 26 – 27 January 2022 in Scottsdale — live auction.
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2022 — Auction Results:
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2022 — Auction Previews:
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2022 — Pre-Auction Announcements:
- Barrett-Jackson: Shelby Cars
- Barrett-Jackson: Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing
- RM Sotheby’s: Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Alloy Gullwing
- RM Sotheby’s: American Prewar Classics (Duesenberg Model J Tourster)
- RM Sotheby’s: Mercedes-Benz 300 SLs
- RM Sotheby’s: Tenebaum Porsches
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2021 — Auction Results
- 2021 Scottsdale, Arizona, January Auctions Results Overview
- Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale March 2021 Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale March 2021 Charity Lots Auction Results
- Bonhams Scottsdale 2021 Auction Results
- Gooding Scottsdale 2021 Auction Results
- RM Sotheby’s Arizona 2021 Auction Results
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales — Previous Auction Results
- 2020: Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Barrett-Jackson & Barrett-Jackson (Charity Lots).
- 2019 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2018 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2017 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2016: Barrett-Jackson, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams
- 2015 Scottsdale Results Overview
- 2014 Scottsdale & Arizona Collector Car Auction Results