Around 20 cars on offer in the Mecum Kissimmee 2022 collector car auction have pre-sale estimates exceeding a million dollars.
The top cars on offer at the Mecum Kissimmee sale in Florida in early to mid-January 2022 are a mix of American racing cars, modern hypercars, and European classics. The most expensive cars in the auction are a 2020 McLaren Speedtail, the 1965 Shelby GT350R Prototype “Flying Mustang” and Chevrolet Corvettes with successful racing histories.
Mecum Kissimmee Sale 2022
Mecum’s Kissimmee 2022 collector car auction is scheduled to run from 6 to 16 January 2022 at Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee, Florida, USA. Around 3,500 cars and a thousand items of art and memorabilia will be on sale.
In 2022, Mecum earned a single-event sales record of $217 million in sales over 11 days. This figure included the $72 million Mecum earned on the final Saturday — a single-day record for the company. Vehicle-only earnings were $213 million with 2,954 vehicles sold — a sell-through rate of 90%.
In 2021, Mecum sold just over 2,000 cars in its Kissimmee sale to earn $122.8 million — the highest single-auction total ever achieved in Mecum’s 34-year history. It was a remarkable single-auction total and a result rarely seen outside the annual Monterey and Scottsdale auctions. In 2020, Mecum earned $105.1 million with 2,140 vehicles changing hands throughout the 11-day auction.
Million-Dollar Cars at Mecum Kissimmee 2022 Sale
Cars with presale estimates exceeding a million dollars on offer at the Mecum Kissimmee 2022 collector car actions include amongst others:
|1||1966||Chevrolet Corvette Pilot Line Development L88||Call for Estimate|
|2||2021||Iso Rivolta GT Zagato||Call for Estimate|
|3||1965||Shelby GT350R Prototype “Flying Mustang”||3,700,000 – 4,000,000|
|4||2020||McLaren Speedtail||3,500,000 – 4,000,000|
|5||1963||Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Gulf One||3,000,000 – 3,500,000|
|6||1992||Ferrari F40||2,800,000 – 3,200,000|
|7||1970||Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible||2,400,000 – 2,700,000|
|8||2016||Pagani Huayra||1,800,000 – 2,000,000|
|9||1965||Shelby 289 Cobra Dragonsnake Factory Stage III||1,750,000 – 2,000,000|
|10||1957||Chevrolet Corvette Super Sport Show Car||1,750,000 – 2,000,000|
|11||1955||Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing||1,750,000 – 2,000,000|
|12||1961||Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster||1,600,000 – 1,800,000|
|13||1967||Shelby 427 Cobra Roadster||1,500,000 – 1,700,000|
|14||1994||Porsche 911 Turbo||1,500,000 – 1,700,000|
|15||2018||Ford GT ’67 Heritage Edition||1,000,000 – 1,100,000|
|16||1951||Hirohata Mercury Custom||1,00,000 – 1,250,000|
|17||2021||Ferrari SF90 Stradale||950,000 – 1,100,000|
|18||2017||Ford GT||900,000 – 1,000,000|
Note: The list may not be complete. Mecum does not provide estimates for all cars on offer at the mega auctions — ultimately the market decides after all.
American Million-Dollar Cars on Sale at Mecum Kissimmee 2022
Most of the cars on offer at the Mecum Kissimmee 2022 collector car auction are American with most of the million-dollar cars also domestic products. Motor racing success is often the best path to million-dollar prices while show cars and special provenance also help.
Million-Dollar Chevrolet Corvettes at Mecum Kissimmee 2022 Sale
Nearly 200 cars or 7% of the total cars on offer at Mecum Kissimmee 2022 are Chevrolet Corvettes. These include a variety of special Corvettes of which at least three have million-dollar potential:
- The 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Pilot Line L88, “Call for Estimate”, is also known as the Pedro Rodriguez/NART Development L88. This car is the first known purpose-built Corvette factory race car resulting from a collaboration between GM’s Zora Arkus-Duntov and Luigi Chinetti of NART. Its extensive race history logs include an outing as the 1966 12 Hours of Sebring field test car for its aluminum cylinder heads, which are dated January 5, and January 13, 1966.
- The 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 “Gulf One”, estimate $3,000,000 to $3,500,000, was the most successful factory-backed production racing Corvette of the C2 era and bears one of only 14 regular-production Corvette serial numbers assigned specifically for competition.
- The 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Super Sport Show Car, estimate $1,750,000 to $2,000,000, was the GM Show Car that debuted at the Coliseum in New York in January 1957 with the purpose of introducing Rochester Ramjet fuel injection to the GM line after the feature was first brought to life under shop order 90181 in March of 1956.
Top American Classics on Offer at Mecum Kissimmee 2022
Some of the top American classics expecting to sell for over a million dollars include several interesting cars:
- The 1965 Shelby GTR350R Competition Model, the “Flying Mustang”, is the winningest Mustang as well as the most expensive Mustang ever. It sold for $3,850,000 at the Mecum Indianapolis 2020 collector car auction — less than two years ago – and the estimate hints that a profit is not really expected.
- The 1951 Hirohata Mercury Custom, estimate $1,000,000 to $1,250,000, is one of the most famous and best-documented American custom cars from the classic postwar era. It is perfectly restored and took Best in Class at Pebble Beach.
Moden Hypercars at Kissimmee 2022
Six of the million-dollar cars on offer at the Mecum Kissimmee 2022 classic car auction are modern hypercars with hardly more than delivery mileage on the clock.
- The 2020 McLaren Speedtail, potentially the most expensive car in the auctions, and the 2021 Ferrari SF90 Stradale are the most valuable of the six hypercars with very low mileage being sold by Michael Fux. The Speedtail is number 100 of only 106 built. The Stradale has bespoke fitting but only 57 miles on the clock. RM Sotheby’s sold a Speedtail for just less than $3.3 million at Arizona 2021, although the presale estimate was a higher $3.5 to $4.5 million.
- The 2021 Iso Rivolta GT Zagato is one of only 19 produced and the first and likely only one imported and registered in the US. This car is based on the Corvette Z06 underpinnings with a Corvette supercharged V-8 engine but has no body panels in common with the Chevrolet. No estimate has been released but it was advertised for $1.35 million earlier in 2021 (and clearly failed to sell).
- Another collector car auction, another Ford GT (or couple) on offer. The 2018 Ford GT is likely to achieve more (and sell easier) due to its ’67 Heritage Edition series rather than the 7 miles vs 337 miles difference over the standard model.
- In contrast, the 2016 Pagani Huayra is not only older but with 725 miles actually been driven apart from delivery. It is one of only 100 produced and its performance five years on is still phenomenal, as is the distinctive design.
European Classics at Mecum Kissimmee 2022 Sale
A couple of European classics, which would not look out of place at a Bonhams, Gooding, or RM Sotheby’s auction, are hoping to sell for over a million dollars at Mecum Kissimmee 2022. The presale estimates for most seem somewhat optimistically top end.
- The 1992 Ferrari F40 was the 19th of 22 produced in the final year of production. However, despite the increasingly high prices paid for the F40, this is the most produced Ferrari supercar with 1,311 made, of which 200 were in US specification. The car has a relatively low 14,053 km (8,732 miles) on the clock but only one F40 sold at auction in the previous two years for more than $2.8 million.
- The 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing and 1961 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster are both professionally restored but without distinguished provenance or clear distinctiveness to explain the top-end estimates. If these cars sell within estimates, expect many SL owners to test the market at auctions later in the year. However, the choice Gullwing in 2022 is likely to be the 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Alloy Gullwing, estimate $7,000,000 to $9,000,000, announced for the RM Sotheby’s Arizona 2022 auction.
- The bewildering number of special edition 911s through the decades makes it difficult to separate million-dollar and $50,000 cars just from the basic name alone. The 1994 Porsche 911 Turbo (Type 964) cars generally achieve strong results but the premium expected for this one is largely based on its appearance in the movie “Bad Boys”.
Mecum Kissimmee Collector Car Auction Sales 2022
While the other large auction houses are still gearing up for Scottsdale, Arizona, in late January, Mecum is already earning at Kissimmee, Florida:
- Top Million-Dollar Results at Mecum Kissimmee 2022
- Top Million-Dollar Cars on Offer at Mecum Kissimmee 2022
- 1951 Hirohata Mercury Custom
- Top Chevrolet Corvettes — Nearly 200 are on offer but eight are really special
- Most Expensive Mustang Ever – 1965 Shelby GT350R Prototype / Flying Mustang
- Mecum Kissimmee Auction Results in 2021 and 2020