A historically important 1938 BMW 328 Special Competition Roadster was announced for the RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2023 classic car auction.
RM Sotheby’s announced several interesting cars from a private collection for the Monterey Week 2023 classic car auction. The cars range from the rare and incredibly significant 1938 BMW 328 ‘Special Competition’ Roadster, one of only three ever made for the German national racing team, to the striking 1956 Chrysler 300B Coupe Speciale by Boano personally commissioned by the legendary Gianni Agnelli.
RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2023 Classic Car Auction
RM Sotheby’s flagship Monterey classic car auction during the annual Monterey / Pebble Beach motoring week: 17 to 19 August 2023 at the Monterey Conference Center in California, USA.
The Monterey sale is traditionally the most important car auction of the year:
- In 2023, RM Sotheby’s achieved $164 million with an 86% sell-through rate and selling 45 million-dollar cars.
- In 2022, RM Sotheby’s set a new auction total record of $239,258,340 selling 52 cars for over a million dollar and a 95% sell-through rate.
- In 2021, RM Sotheby’s earned $148.5 million at Monterey selling 43 cars for over a million dollar and an impressive 90% sell-through rate.
- RM Sotheby’s earned $30,412,810 from the Shift / Monterey 2020 online-only sale.
- In 2019, RM Sotheby’s earned $107 million, in 2018 $158 million (including $48,405,000 for the most expensive car ever sold at a Monterey auction, a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO), in 2017 $133 million, and in 2016 $173 million.
Private Collection at RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2023 Sale
RM Sotheby’s announced several interesting cars from a private collection for the Monterey 2023 classic car auction. This collection boasts exceptional provenance, meticulous restorations, and multiple awards. With each vehicle in museum-quality condition, these cars represent the pinnacle of automotive craftsmanship and history.
Historic Competition 1938 BMW 328 Roadster at RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2023
The 1938 BMW 328 ‘Special Competition’ Roadster, chassis 85335, estimate: $1,900,000 – $2,900,000, on offer at RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2023 sale is a rare BMW of historic importance. It is one of three specially configured examples supplied to the German national racing team, this Special Competition Roadster is one of the most significant BMW competition cars ever offered at auction.
In the 1939 Le Mans 24-Hours race, it finished second in the 2-liter class behind another BMW 328 and ahead of the third BMW. The overall positions of 5th, 7th, and 9th were the best results for BMW at Le Mans until BMW’s overall victory in 1999.
The example boasts 52 years of single-family ownership and has been forensically restored to its as-raced 1939 configuration. With its remarkable provenance and winning pedigree granting irrefutable eligibility to many of the world’s most exclusive concours and road rallies, 85335 would be a marvelous, eminently usable addition to any finely curated collection which celebrates BMW, Le Mans, or other significant pre-war sports cars.
Italian Cars from the Private Collection
Italian cars from the Private Collection on offer at RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2023 include:
1955 Ferrari 250 Europa GT Coupe by Pinin Farina – One of 35 examples built and one of 27 featuring Pinin Farina’s beautiful series coachwork, this two-time Platinum Award winner at the Cavallino Classic boasts a comprehensive mechanical restoration and former ownership by very distinguished collectors and has been fitted with a properly specified Type 112 engine newly built by Ferrari Classiche. Still arresting in the handsome livery of midnight blue over tan, this striking Europa GT offers further exhibition opportunities or may be enjoyed in touring events (Estimate: $1,400,000 – $1,800,000).
1956 Chrysler 300B Coupe Speciale by Boano – One of only two Boano creations built upon an American chassis with an American powertrain, this example was personally commissioned by Italian industrial titan and style icon Gianni Agnelli. It boasts remarkable provenance and benefits from a meticulously cared-for restoration in champagne gold with an English Hunt Club Green leather roof over an English Ivory interior with green accents. Awarded 2nd in Class at the 2019 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance; Best of Show, 2021 Cavallino Classic Sports Sunday and 2021 Ocean Reef Vintage Weekend; and Best in Class, 2022 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este, this 300B by Boano is suited to a caretaker possessing cultivated taste (Estimate: $950,000 – $1,250,000).
Other cars offered from the Private Collection include a 1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Super Sport Villa d’Este Coupe by Touring—one of approximately 36 examples built, it boasts a 2021 restoration by Rizza Classic in Italy, managed by noted Alfa Romeo 6C expert Raoul San Giorgi (Estimate: $825,000 – $925,000); a 1947 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Super Sport Cabriolet by Pinin Farina, the ultimate development of the legendary Alfa Romeo 6C with documented history from new, including 52 years under the care of one Verona, Italy family (Estimate: $650,000 – $750,000); and a sought-after 1955 Lancia Aurelia B20S GT Coupe Series 4—a wonderfully restored example of one of the finest post-war gran turismos (Estimate: $200,000 – $250,000).
Monterey Week 2023 Classic Car Auctions
Monterey Week 2023 Auction Results
- Top Ten Monterey Week Auction Results
- Bonhams: Quail Lodge Sale Results, 1967 Ferrari 412P
- Gooding: Pebble Beach Sale Results
- Mecum: Monterey Sale Results
- RM Sotheby’s: Monterey Sale Results, Lost & Found Ferrarir Results
Monterey Week 2023 Auction Previews
Monterey Week 2023 Pre-Auction Announcements
- Bonhams: 1967 Ferrari 412P Berlinetta
- Gooding: 1933 Bugatti Type 55 Roadster
- Gooding: Top Ten Ferraris (including a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta)
- Gooding: Top American Brass-Era Cars (including a Simplex and Mercer)
- RM Sotheby’s: Top Ten Ferraris (including a 250 LM and California Spider)
- RM Sotheby’s: The Lost and Found Collection of 20 Ferraris
- RM Sotheby’s: Steve McQeen’s 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4
- RM Sotheby’s: 1938 BMW 328 ‘Special Competition’ Roadster
Previous Monterey Week Auction Results