A group of 13 top Ferraris from a single owner is offered as the Ferrari Performance Collection in RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2017 classic car auction.
A Platinum Award-winning 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB and a 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 are the leading of 13 cars offered in the single-owner Ferrari Performance Collection at the RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2017 classic car sale in mid-August 2017. Additional highlights include a low-mileage 1991 Ferrari F40, joined by a 481-mile 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO and a 1982 Ferrari 512 BBi that has covered just 553 miles. Most of these Ferraris, including the F40, will be offered without reserve.
RM Sotheby’s Monterey Classic Car Auction
In 2017, RM Sotheby’s will have its Monterey sale on 18 & 19 August 2017 at the Portola Hotel & Spa in Monterey, California, USA. Around 100 cars will be on offer.
In 2016, RM Sotheby’s grossed $118 million from just over 100 cars – 21 cars were sold for over a million dollar including three that sold for over $10 million and setting new marque records: a 1955 Jaguar D-Type, 1939 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900 B Lungo Spider and a 1962 Shelby 260 Cobra CSX2000 – the most-expensive American car ever.
Ferrari Performance Collection at RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2017
The Ferrari Performance Collection is a group of 13 cars from a single owner that RM Sotheby’s will offer during the Monterey classic car week in California. Spanning over 50 years of Ferrari’s rich heritage, all cars boast low-mileage, carefully maintained status, coming directly from a single-owner collection.
The previously announced one-off 1950 Ferrari 166 MM/212 Export ‘Uovo’ is not part of this collection and with only a month to go remains the most-exciting Ferrari that will be on offer at any Monterey Week auction this year.
1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta
The Ferrari Performance Collection is headlined by a concours-level restored 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta – one of the last Ferraris made that was eligible to be raced at events such as the 24 Hours of Le Mans with little or no modification in period, and one of the most iconic road cars produced.
Chassis no. 2985, a GT variant, is the 110th of 165 ever built. Benefitting from Ferrari Classiche certification and with notable history, including a Platinum award at Cavallino in 2016, the SWB is expected to fetch $8,500,000 – $10,000,000 next month.
1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta
Joining the 250 GT SWB is another respected and famed Sixties Ferrari road car, a 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta by Scaglietti, chassis no. 10147, estimate $2,750,000 – $3,250,000.
Imported to the USA in 1967, and presented in factory-correct Rosso over Pelle Nera with matching-numbers status, this1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta is complete with original tool roll, handbook and Ferrari Classiche certification.
Other Ferrari Performance Group Cars
Other entries in the collection include a lightweight, competition-focused, aluminium-bodied 1969 Ferrari Dino 206 GT. With a mere 152 206 GTs constructed in total—compared to almost 3,800 246 GT/GTS variants—this car is one of just 51 produced in 1969. Making its way from Europe in 2014 and remaining in the U.S. since, chassis no. 00362 is offered with an original set of books (estimate $650,000 – $750,000).
Enthusiasts of modern performance will undoubtedly be drawn to the two-owner, 2,800-mile 1991 Ferrari F40, chassis no. 87895. One of just 213 U.S.-specification F40s ever produced, complete with luggage, tools, books, its original invoice and in exemplary condition, it will cross the block with an estimate of $1,300,000 – $1,500,000. This car is offered without reserve – a brave move as a few F40s failed to achieve over a million dollar this year but probably a reasonable gamble during Monterey week.
Joining the F40 is another high-performance, modern supercar, a 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO, chassis no. 175165, which has been driven a mere 481 miles in its life and is resplendent in quintessential Rosso Corsa over black interior (estimate $700,000 – $800,000, offered without reserve).
No road-going Ferrari collection would be complete without a Ferrari 512 BBi, of which the Ferrari Performance Collection has two. Leading the pair, and following the low-mileage theme, is a 1982 Ferrari 512 BBi, which was imported to the USA from new and has covered just 553 miles. Collecting many Concours-related silverware including the 2006 Coppa GT, Platinum and Coppa Bella Macchina awards from the Ferrari Club of America Annual Meeting at Chantilly, this car, chassis no. 48723, has an enviable history file and with such low mileage, is estimated to bring $375,000 – $450,000 (offered without reserve).
A full list of entries in the Ferrari Performance Collection:
- 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta – Est. $8,500,000 – $10,000,000
- 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta by Scaglietti – Est. $2,750,000 – $3,250,000
- 1969 Ferrari Dino 206 GT – Est. $650,000 – $750,000
- 1991 Ferrari F40 – Est. $1,300,000 – $1,500,000 (Offered without reserve)
- 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO – Est. $700,000 – $800,000 (Offered without reserve)
- 1984 Ferrari 512 BBi – Est. $375,000 – $450,000 (Offered without reserve)
- 2005 Ferrari 575 Superamerica – Est. $375,000 – $450,000 (Offered without reserve)
- 2009 Ferrari 16M Scuderia Spider – Est. $350,000 – $400,000 (Offered without reserve)
- 1984 Ferrari 512 BBi – Est. $275,000 – $325,000 (Offered without reserve)
- 2004 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale – Est. $275,000 – $325,000 (Offered without reserve)
- 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia – Est. $250,000 – $300,000 (Offered without reserve)
- 1976 Ferrari 308 GTB ‘Vetroresina’ – Est. $175,000 – $225,000 (Offered without reserve)
- 1989 Ferrari 328 GTS – Est. $90,000 – $120,000 (Offered without reserve)
Led by the recently announced Aston Martin DBR1/1, RM Sotheby’s 2017 Monterey sale features another group of 100 of the world’s finest and most sought-after automobiles.
More Information on the Monterey Week Classic Car Auctions 2017
- Monterey Week – Updates on all Monterey week 2017 auctions
- Pebble Beach – Updates on Gooding auction announcements, previews and results
- Monterey – Updates on RM Sotheby’s auction announcements, previews and results
- Quail Lodge – Updates on Bonhams auction announcement, previews and results