A 1966 Vanden Plas Princess 1100 is a surprise highlight of the Bonhams Paris 2019 sale – it originally belonging to Charles Aznavour.
A 1966 Vanden Plas Princess 1100 originally belonging to Charles Aznavour – often considered the French Frank Sinatra – has been uncovered by Bonhams specialists after having been stored in a his sister’s chateau for decades. It will be offered at Bonhams Grandes Marques du Grand Palais Sale in Paris on 7 February 2019.
Bonhams Paris Rétromobile Week Sale 2019
Bonhams scheduled its eighth annual Grandes Marques du Monde sale in the Grand Palais in Paris on 7 February 2019 during the annual Rétromobile Week.
In 2018, Bonhams achieved a total of €14,930,317 with 77% of lots sold. The sale included around 200 automobilia lots and 130 cars. In 2017, Bonhams’ top result in Paris was €2,012,500 for a 1935 Aston Martin Ulster Sports Two Seater
Charles Azanavour’s Vanden Plas Princess
A barn-find 1966 Vanden Plas Princess 1100 is a surprise highlight of the Bonhams Paris Rétromobile 2019 classic car auction. This largely unremarkable car originally belonged to Charles Azanavour.
Charles Azanavour, a French-Armenian singer and songwriter, was the first registered owner of the 1966 Vanden Plas Princess 1100 that he bought new in 1966. His career spanned more than 70 years and he recorded more than 1,200 songs during his lifetime.
Charles Azanavour was one of the most popular French singers and sold more than 180 million records. He was voted Entertainer of the Century by CNN and beat legends such as Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan in the popularity vote. Aznavour was deeply involved with humanitarian events and politics, and in 2009 he was appointed ambassador of Armenia to Switzerland. In 2017, a year before his death, he was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of fame
The 1966 Vanden Plas Princess 1100 is still registered with its original plates and is offered with the carte grise signed by Charles Aznavourian – his full name – and an autograph to the current vendor, only the second owner. It has not been driven by the second owner, so the last person at the wheel was Mr Aznavour himself.
This motor car is a piece of French musical history. Charles Aznavour was loved around the world for his contributions to music, song writing and entertainment. This beautiful little car is in astoundingly original condition and has been driven by just one owner – Mr Aznavour. It is offered without reserve at our Paris sale in February.’Paul Gaucher, motor car specialist at Bonhams
More on Paris Rétromobile 2019 Classic Car Auctions
Artcurial, Bonhams and RM Sotheby’s traditionally schedule their first European classic car auction of the year during the Rétromobile week in Paris in early February.
Paris Rétromobile Week 2019 Auction Results
- Top 20 Results at the Paris Rétromobile 2019 Auctions
- Artcurial – Paris 2019 Sale Auction Results
- Bonhams – Paris 2019 Sale Auction Results
- RM Sotheby’s – Paris 2019 Sale Auction Results
Paris Rétromobile Week 2019 Auction Previews
- Paris Rétromobile Week 2019 Classic Car Auctions General Preview
- Bonhams – Les Grandes Marques du Monde au Grand Palais Auction Preview
- Artcurial – Rétromobile 2019 La Vente Officielle Auction Preview
- RM Sotheby’s – Paris 2019 Auction Preview
Rétromobile Auction Announcements
- Artcurial – 1939 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Touring Berlinetta
- Artcurial – 1931 Bugatti Type 51 Grand Prix
- Artcurial – Highlights Announcement
- Bonhams – Charles Aznavour’s 1966 Vanden Plas Princess
- Bonhams – German Classic Cars (BMW 507, Mercedes Benz 540 K, Gullwing)
- RM Sotheby’s – 1956 Porsche 550 RS Spyder & 2014 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse
- RM Sotheby’s – 1987 Ferrari F40 LM and 1996 Ferrari F50
- RM Sotheby’s – Modern Bugattis (EB110 SS, Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse & Chiron
- RM Sotheby’s – Ferrari SP30 (First Special Projects Car Ever offered for sale)
- RM Sotheby’s – Supercars Lineup