A 1936 Bugatti Type 57 Atalante is the first high-profile car announced for the Artcurial Paris Rétromobile 2023 classic car auction.
Artcurial announced its first headline car for the Paris Rétromobile 2023 sale: a 1936 Bugatti Type 57 Atalante that retains its original bodywork, chassis, and rare factory-fitted sunroof. The first owner raced the Bugatti in European rallies while a subsequent buyer fled the civil war in the Congo in the 1960s in this Atalante. The seller frequently participates in classic car events in Europe with this Type 57 making it a well-known automobile in classic car circles.
Artcurial Paris Rétromobile Classic Car Auction 2023
Artcurial Motorcars: Paris Retromobile Salon classic car auction on 3 February 2023.
Previous Artcurial earnings at Paris Rétromobile sales:
|2022||€37.8 million ($41.7 million)||82% sell-through rate|
|2021||€18 million ($22 million)||Parisienne sale — Rétromobile cancelled|
|2020||€23 million ($25 million)||70% sell-through rate|
Bugatti Atalante at Paris Rétromobile 2023 Sale
The first high-profile car announced for the Artcurial Paris Rétromobile classic car auction in February 2023 is a magnificent 1936 Bugatti Type 57 Atalante, chassis 57432, estimate €2,000,000 to €3,000,000. This Bugatti Type 57 Atalante was one of only four equipped with an original factory sunroof.
The Atalante finished in black and ivory was delivered new in France to a jeweler from Marseille. From 1938, the owner used his car to take part in the most famous races of the day, including the Rallye Monte-Carlo, Liège-Rome-Liège, and Rallye des Alpes. After the Second World War, it was acquired by the architect and important Belgian Bugatti collector, M. de Lay. Living in the Congo during the early 1960s, he used his Atalante regularly, and when civil war broke out in 1963, M. de Lay and his wife fled the country at the wheel of this car.
Back in Europe, the car was owned by a succession of major collectors before being fully restored to its original configuration at the end of the 1990s. This Atalante has the advantage of being presented today with a lovely patina, as the current owner, a great marque enthusiast and historian, has covered thousands of kilometers in his car to attend various events and rallies.
The 57 Atalante has acquired legendary status in Bugatti history, and this car, still equipped with its original chassis and bodywork, is exceptional for its continuous history.
Paris Rétromobile Week Auctions 2023
Classic Car Auctions
The following three sales traditionally open the European classic car auction year during the Paris Rétromobile Week that is held from 1 to 5 February 2023 at Paris Expo, Porte de Versailles
- Artcurial: Rétromobile Sale on 3 February 2023.
- Bonhams: Les Grandes Marques à Paris Sale on 2 February 2023.
- RM Sotheby’s: Paris Auction 1 February 2023 at Salles du Carrousel du Louvre.
Paris Rétromobile Auctions 2023 Results
Paris Rétromobile Auctions 2023 Pre-Sale Announcements
- Artcurial: 1936 Bugatti Type 57 Atalante
- Artcurial: Schumacher Benetton B195
- Artcurial: 1964 Ferrari 250 LM
- Bonhams: Pre-Sale Auction Preview
- Bonhams: Maradona’s 1980 Mercedes-Benz 450SLC
- RM Sotheby’s: 2022 Bugatti Chiron Profilée
- RM Sotheby’s: 2020 McLaren Senna LM
Previous Paris Rétromobile Week Auction Results
- 2022 Paris Rétromobile Sales Results: Artcurial, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams
- 2021 Artcurial Parisienne Sale Results (Rétromobile was canceled in 2021)
- 2020 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2019 Paris Auction: Top 20 Results, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2018 Paris Auction Results: General Overview, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2017 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2016 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams, 1957 Ferrari 335 Sport
- 2015 Paris Auction Results: Results Overview, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Auctions
- Results of the 2014 Paris Classic Car Auctions