A 1964 Ferrari 250 LM in exceptional condition was announced for sale at the Artcurial Paris 2023 Rétromobile classic car auction.
The lead car for the Artcurial Motorcars Paris Salon Rétromobile 2023 sale is a rare 1964 Ferrari 250 LM. This 250 LM was never raced and although that may detract from its value, it is also as a result in a highly original and exceptionally good condition. No estimate has been released.
Artcurial Paris Rétromobile Classic Car Auction 2023
Artcurial Motorcars: Paris Retromobile Salon classic car auction on 3 February 2023.
Previous Artcurial earnings at Paris Rétromobile sales:
|2022||€37.8 million ($41.7 million)||82% sell-through rate|
|2021||€18 million ($22 million)||Parisienne sale — Rétromobile cancelled|
|2020||€23 million ($25 million)||70% sell-through rate|
1964 Ferrari 250 LM at Artcurial Paris Rétromobile 2023 Sale
The highlight of the Artcurial Paris Salon Retromobile 2023 auction is likely to be the 1964 Ferrari 250 LM, chassis 5901. No estimate has been released and the price is hard to guess in advance: the 250 LM has no racing history but is therefore in a magnificent original condition.
Rarer and more exclusive than a Ferrari 250 GTO, this 250 LM, #5901, was the 10th of 32 examples to leave the Maranello factory. The 250 LM represents a genuine legend in International Motorsport history, being the last Ferrari model to win the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1965, driven by Masten Gregory and Jochen Rindt.
Chassis 5901 was entered by NART as a reserve car in the Daytona 24 Hours in 1966. It is one of just two 250 LMs to have never suffered the rigors of active competition, which has allowed it to retain all its original elements (chassis, engine, gearbox, body).
Having spent its life in the hands of great American collectors, including Massimo Ferragamo, the car crossed the Atlantic to join a European collection in 1997. It then benefitted from a restoration that respected its originality in the workshops of the celebrated British specialist DK Engineering. It had the same French owner for the last two decades.
Ferrari 250 LM Prices at Public Auction
Although the Ferrari 250 LM is rarer than the 250 GTO, prices are generally a bit lower. Very few of either model had been sold at public auctions in recent years. The last time a 1964 Ferrari 250 LM was sold at auction was at RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2015 for $17,600,000. The two Ferrari 250 LM cars sold before that achieved $14,300,00 (RM New York 2013) and $11,550,00 (RM Monterey 2014).
Paris Rétromobile Week Auctions 2023
Classic Car Auctions
The following three sales traditionally open the European classic car auction year during the Paris Rétromobile Week that is held from 1 to 5 February 2023 at Paris Expo, Porte de Versailles
- Artcurial: Rétromobile Sale on 3 February 2023.
- Bonhams: Les Grandes Marques à Paris Sale on 2 February 2023.
- RM Sotheby’s: Paris Auction 1 February 2023 at Salles du Carrousel du Louvre.
Paris Rétromobile Auctions 2023 Results
Paris Rétromobile Auctions 2023 Pre-Sale Announcements
- Artcurial: 1936 Bugatti Type 57 Atalante
- Artcurial: Schumacher Benetton B195
- Artcurial: 1964 Ferrari 250 LM
- Bonhams: Pre-Sale Auction Preview
- Bonhams: Maradona’s 1980 Mercedes-Benz 450SLC
- RM Sotheby’s: 2022 Bugatti Chiron Profilée
- RM Sotheby’s: 2020 McLaren Senna LM
Previous Paris Rétromobile Week Auction Results
- 2022 Paris Rétromobile Sales Results: Artcurial, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams
- 2021 Artcurial Parisienne Sale Results (Rétromobile was canceled in 2021)
- 2020 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2019 Paris Auction: Top 20 Results, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2018 Paris Auction Results: General Overview, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2017 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2016 Paris Auction Results: Artcurial, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams, 1957 Ferrari 335 Sport
- 2015 Paris Auction Results: Results Overview, Artcurial, Bonhams, RM Auctions
- Results of the 2014 Paris Classic Car Auctions