A 1965 Ferrari 500 Superfast and a 1967 Ferrari 330 GTS are early top cars announced for the Gooding Scottsdale 2020 classic car auction.
Gooding & Company announced three Ferraris for the Scottsdale 2020 auction scheduled for 17 & 18 January 2020 in Arizona. The rare 1965 Ferrari 500 Superfast (Estimate: $2,500,000 – $3,000,000) is one of only 36 ever built. Although Ferrari built almost three times as many of the 1967 Ferrari 330 GTS (Estimate: $2,200,000 – $2,500,000), these spiders remained very popular and command high prices.
Gooding Scottsdale Classic Car Auction 2020
Gooding & Company’s annual Scottsdale classic car auction: 17 & 18 January 2020 at Scottsdale Fashion Square in Scottdale, Arizona, USA.
- In 2020, Gooding earned $35,867,560 by selling 123 of 138 lots for an 89% sell-through rate.
- In 2019, Gooding earned $48 million by selling 105 of 124 lots for a sell-through rate of 85% and an average price of $459,417 per car. The top result was $7,595,000 for a 1963 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta.
- In 2018, Gooding earned $49.2 million by selling 110 of 129 lots for a sell-through rate of 85% and an average price of $447,415 per car. The top result was $8,085,000 for a 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB Speciale.
- In 2017, Gooding gained $33.4 million at the Scottsdale auction by selling 106 of the 126 lots for a sell-through rate of 84%. The top result was $3,300,000 for a 1925 Bugatti Type 35 Grand Prix.
1965 Ferrari 500 Superfast
At the Geneva Motor Show in 1964, Ferrari debuted the all-new 500 Superfast – the successor to the 400 Superamerica aimed at the company’s most elite clientele. Powered by a massive five-liter V-12, the Superfast lived up to its name, with a top speed approaching 170 mph. The car’s elegant Pininfarina coachwork features a large glass greenhouse, refined lines, and a Kamm tail to complement its racing bloodline. The interior contains spacious and adjustable seats, an expansive luggage platform, and a beautiful wood-grain dashboard with myriad instruments.
This 1965 Ferrari 500 Superfast (Estimate: $2,500,000 – $3,000,000), chassis 6305 SF, is the only one of the 36 500 Superfasts delivered in black. It was sold new in Italy and belonged to several notable collectors throughout the years. The vehicle settled in America where it underwent a complete engine rebuild by award-winning vintage Ferrari restorer Motion Products Inc. This matching-numbers 500 Superfast comes with Ferrari Classiche Red Book certification.
Although the 500 Superfast cars are very rare and were the top of the line Ferrari at the time, many seem to struggle at auction. Gooding achieved around $3 million for a 500 Superfast at both Scottsdale 2017 and Pebble Beach 2015 but several further 500s failed to reach reserves at recent auctions.
1967 Ferrari 330 GTS
The Ferrari 330 GTS is certainly defined by its rarity, with only 99 examples built between 1966 and 1968. The 330 GTS was equipped with a powerful, four-liter V-12, five-speed transaxle, four-wheel disc brakes, and its bodywork was reminiscent of the exclusive 500 Superfast.
This Pininfarina-bodied Spider, 1967 Ferrari 330 GTS (Estimate: $2,200,000 – $2,500,000), chassis 10111, recently underwent a multiyear restoration and is presented in striking Giallo Fly with black leather interior. This Platinum Award-winning 330 GTS is among the finest restored examples of this revered model and offers an extraordinary combination of beauty and performance.
In the previous five years, at least ten Ferrari 330 GTS cars were sold at auction with results mostly within the price guidance offered for this spider.
1973 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS
The Ferrari Dino, regarded by many as one of the most striking and appealing automobiles ever imagined by Ferrari, was a car designed for the road with the DNA of a racecar. With less than 1,300 built between 1972 and 1974, the 246 GTS introduced a lift-off roof, power windows, and air conditioning, making it more desirable than its 246 GT precursors. This 1973 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS (Estimate: $325,000 – $400,000), chassis 05534, is offered in the attractive color combination of Bianco Polo Park over black leather and showing just under 21,000 miles from new.
“The 60s and 70s were unmistakably Ferrari’s golden years in producing racing championships as well as favorably drivable road cars,” notes David Brynan, Senior Specialist at Gooding & Company. “Each of these examples is a fantastic representation of the era’s GT style that Ferrari enthusiasts are always on the hunt for to add to their collection.”
Scottsdale and Arizona Car Auctions 2020
Scottsdale & Arizona Auctions 2020
Many auction houses have sales during the annual Scottsdale week in mid-November, including amongst others:
- Barett-Jackson: 11 – 19 January 2020 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Bonhams: 16 January 2020 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Gooding & Company: 17 & 18 January 2020 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- RM Sotheby’s: 16 & 17 January 2020 in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Worldwide Auctioneers: 15 January 2020 at Singh Meadows, Tempe, Arizona.
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2020 – Auction Results
- 2020 Gooding Scottsdale Sale (Auction Results)
- 2020 RM Sotheby’s Arizona Sale (Auction Results)
- 2020 Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Sale (Charity Lots Auction Results)
- 2020 Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Sale (Auction Results Announcement)
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales 2020 – Auction Previews
- 2020 Bonhams Scottsdale Sale (Auction Preview)
- 2020 Gooding Scottsdale Sale (Auction Preview)
- 2020 RM Sotheby’s Arizona Sale (Auction Preview)
Scottsdale & Arizona Press Announcements 2020
- Barrett-Jackson: Charity Lots Results ($7.625 million!)
- Barrett-Jackson: Charity Lots
- Gooding: Ferraris (including F50 and Daytona Spider)
- Gooding: Prewar 1930s Open-Top Classics
- Gooding: Ferrari 500 Superfast & 330 GTS
- Gooding: 1948 Tucker 48
- RM Sotheby’s: Prewar Cadillac V-16s
- RM Sotheby’s: Mercedes Benz 540 K and 300 SLs
- RM Sotheby’s: Top Ferraris, (including 250 GT Cabriolet Series I)
Scottsdale, Arizona, 2019 Auctions Sale Results
- Scottsdale Arizona 2019 Classic Car Sales – Auctions Results Overview
- Bonhams – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Results
- Gooding – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Results
- RM Sotheby’s – 2019 Arizona Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson – 2019 Scottsdale Auction Charity Lots Results