The annual Amelia Island classic car auctions in Florida, USA, are held in conjunction with a Concours d’Elegance. These auctions by RM Auctions, Gooding & Co and Bonhams are the first major East Coast classic car sales of the year.
The Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance goes back to 1996 and has since grown to one of the most prestigious classic car events in the USA. The quality of the more than 200 cars on display ensured that classic car auctioneers soon followed. Currently, RM Auctions (official partner), Gooding & Co and Bonhams have their first East Coast auctions of the year here in Florida. Other auctioneers also have sales during the long weekend. (Mecum starts the year early January with the massive Kissimmee auctions in Florida.)
Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance
The Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance has developed into one of the most important classic car events in the USA. In addition to showing and judging beautiful and valuable cars, the Amelia Island is also a charity event that collected more than $2.5 million since 1996.
The Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance is held in early March in sunny Florida while much of the American East Coast is still in the grips of winter. Classic car enthusiasts very much prefer sunny weather, especially when Concours-quality automobiles are on display. However, events are held come rain or shine.
In 2020, the Amelia Island Concours events are held from 5 to 8 March 2020 at the Golf Club of Amelia Island with further events in the Ritz Carlton. The biggest day is Sunday when the long list of winners is announced.
Classic Car Auctions in Amelia Island, Florida
The classic car auctions at Amelia Island usually see several cars achieving more than a million dollars. The main auctions in the top league are:
RM Auctions is the official auction partner of the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance. It currently holds its classic car sale on Saturday in the Ritz Carlton hotel.
The Gooding & Co Amelia Island sale is held on Friday in the nearby Omni Amelia Island Plantation.
Bonhams staged its first Amelia Island auction in 2015 at the Fernando Beach Golf Club.
For More on Amelia Island Classic Car Auctions:
- Amelia Island 2020 Auction News
- Amelia Island 2019: Pre-Sale Announcements
- Amelia Island 2018 Auction Results: Overview, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- Amelia Island 2018 Auction Previews: Gooding & RM Sotheby’s
- Amelia Island 2018 Auctions Pre-Sale Announcements: RM Sotheby’s (Exclusively Porsche 964 Collection), Gooding (Turbocharged Competition Porsches, Barn-Find Ferrari 275 GTB Alloy & Shelby Cobra, Porsche Collection)
- 2017 Amelia Island Auctions Results: Overview, Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- 2017 Amelia Island Auctions Previews: Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- 2017 Amelia Island Auctions Pre-Sale Announcements: RM Sotheby’s (Bugatti Type 57S Cabriolet, Ferrari 250 GTB SWB Berlinetta, Orin Smith Collection, Bentley Le Mans, Ferrari 166 MM), Gooding (Jaguar XKSS, Racing Cars, Porsche Supercars, McLaren P1, Aston Martins)
- 2016 Amelia Island Results: Overview, Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- 2016 Amelia Island Auction Previews: Gooding (Seinfeld Porsches), Bonhams, RM Sotheby’s
- 2015 Amelia Island Auction Results: Overview, Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- 2015 Amelia Island Auction Previews: RM Auctions, Gooding, and Bonhams
- 2015 Amelia Island Auction Pre-Sale Press Releases: RM Auctions, Gooding (Maserati & Ferraris)
- 2014 Amelia Island Auction Results (Gooding & Co and RM Auctions)