Three Chrysler Ghia concept show cars from the Ramshead Collection are headlining the Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 classic car auction in Arizona, USA.
A trans-Atlantic trio of rare mid-century Chrysler Ghia show cars, offered from the prestigious Ramshead Collection, will bring a touch of La Dolce Vita to Bonhams as highlights of the Scottsdale Auction on January 26, 2023. The unique 1957 Chrysler Ghia Super Dart 400 concept car was displayed at the Turin and New York Motor Shows and recently won a class award at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. The 1962 Chrysler Ghia L6.4 and 1954 Chrysler Ghia GS-1 Coupé were produced in very limited numbers with only a few examples surviving.
Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 Classic Car Auction
Bonhams Scottsdale classic car auction: 27 January 2023 at the Westin Kierland Resort & Spa in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Bonhams’ US season-opener at Scottsdale realized a total of $30 million, with 84% sold and 97% by value. Ranging from pre-war to 21st racing cars, the 125-lot sale for the 11th edition of the Bonhams Arizona auction was the British auctioneer’s best results in Arizona since 2017.
Despite considerable successes in previous years, the Scottsdale auction has been of lesser importance to Bonhams in recent years with earnings as follows:
- 2023 — $30 million
- 2022 — $11 million
- 2021 — $5,9 million
- 2020 — $1.9 million
- 2019 — $16.1 million
- 2018 — $25.2 million
- 2017 — $36 million
Chrysler Ghia Cars at Bonhams Scottsdale Sale 2023
Three Chrysler Ghia cars on offer at the Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 sale are the headliners of the Ramshead Collection of 13 cars, curated by the late John White of California, a renowned and respected collector and frequent exhibitor at Pebble Beach and other prominent events.
The son of a Dodge automobile dealer, Mr. White was a ‘petrolhead’ from an early age. His childhood collection of model cars developed into the curated Ramshead collection of mid-century Americana which was kept in a private museum that resembled a showroom of the era.
The impressive collection offers 13 collector cars, representing the great names of the American automobile industry, from Buick and Cadillac to Lincoln and Ford, mostly offered at No Reserve.
Leading the glamorous group is the unique 1957 Chrysler Ghia Super Dart 400 concept car which was displayed at that year’s Torino and New York Motor Shows and most recently won a class award at the esteemed Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. This striking, futuristic one-off showcased what was to come in automotive design and was equipped with Chrysler’s powerful 400hp Hemi V8 powerplant.
This highly original and preserved example has covered just 49,000 miles with three owners from new and is offered with an estimate of $750,000 – 950,000.
Also displayed at the New York Auto Show was the 1962 Chrysler Ghia L6.4, which in later life was a Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance entrant. Largely hand-built in Italy at Ghia’s Carrozeria, the L6.4 had a limited production run of just 26, with owners including Frank Sinatra. Stunningly preserved, this treasured collector car – one of just 17 surviving – is another low mileage example with just 33,000 miles recorded and has an estimate of $450,000 – 650,000.
Completing the automotive triptych is the 1954 Chrysler Ghia GS-1 Coupé, its striking turquoise over tan livery complementing its lines, inspired by Virgil Exner, the Chrysler designer known for creating the marque’s ‘Forward Look’. The elegant show car was one of nine examples produced, of which only five remain. The subject of an exceptional restoration, the GS-1 is a three-times class winner at Pebble Beach and is estimated at $600,000 – 800,000.
Other highlights include a 1953 Buick Skylark Convertible, estimate $90,000-120,000; a one-off 1948 Dodge D24 Custom Coupé, $75,000-125,000 and a 1953 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible, $80,000-110,000.
Jakob Greisen, International Senior Specialist, Bonhams Collector Cars, said: “This is truly a spectacular collection. Each of the American/Italian Chrysler Ghias is unique and a headliner in its own right – so to offer three in one sale is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Scottsdale and Arizona Car Auctions 2023
Many auction houses have sales during the annual Scottsdale week in Arizona, USA, in late January 2023, including amongst others:
- Barett-Jackson: 21 to 29 January 2023 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Bonhams: 27 January 2023 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- RM Sotheby’s: 26 January 2023 in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Russo and Steele: 26 – 30 January 2023 in Scottsdale.
- Gooding & Company: no Scottsdale auction scheduled in 2023.
Scottsdale & Arizona Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson: Top-Ten Cars and Top Charity Lot Results at Scottsdale 2023
- Bonhams: Scottsdale 2023 Top Auction Results, including the most-expensive pre-First World War car ever sold.
- RM Sotheby’s: Top Results Arizona 2023 Sale
Scottsdale & Arizona Pre-Sale Announcements
- Barrett-Jackson: Charity Lots
- Bonhams: Top Ten Lots
- Bonhams: Chrysler Ghia Cars
- RM Sotheby’s: LaFerrari and Shelby 427 Competition Cobra
- RM Sotheby’s: Top Ten Lots
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales — Previous Auction Results
- 2022: Barrett-Jackson (Charity Lots), Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- 2021: Overview, Barrett-Jackson (Charity Lots), Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- 2020: Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Barrett-Jackson & Barrett-Jackson (Charity Lots).
- 2019 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2018 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2017 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2016: Barrett-Jackson, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams
- 2015 Scottsdale Results Overview
- 2014 Scottsdale & Arizona Collector Car Auction Results