A 2006 Maserati MC12 Corse and a 1912 Simplex 50 HP 5 Passenger Torpedo Tourer are the most expensive cars on sale in the Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 auction.
The two top cars on offer in the Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 classic car auction were produced nearly a century apart. The 2006 Maserati MC12 Corse is one of only 12 produced and is sold with only 123 test miles on the clock. In contrast, the 1912 Simplex 50 HP 5 Passenger Torpedo Tourer was driven everywhere by its original owner — US tennis superstar Eleanora Sears. Other top cars are European mid-century sports cars: a 1953 Siata 208S Spider with Mille Miglia experience, a 1958 BMW 507 Series II Roadster, and a 1965 Ferrari 275 GTS. Also of historical significance is a trio of Chrysler Ghia show cars.
Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 Classic Car Auction
Bonhams Scottsdale classic car auction: 27 January 2023 at the Westin Kierland Resort & Spa in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Bonhams’ US season-opener at Scottsdale realized a total of $30 million, with 84% sold and 97% by value. Ranging from pre-war to 21st racing cars, the 125-lot sale for the 11th edition of the Bonhams Arizona auction was the British auctioneer’s best results in Arizona since 2017.
Despite considerable successes in previous years, the Scottsdale auction has been of lesser importance to Bonhams in recent years with earnings as follows:
- 2023 — $30 million
- 2022 — $11 million
- 2021 — $5,9 million
- 2020 — $1.9 million
- 2019 — $16.1 million
- 2018 — $25.2 million
- 2017 — $36 million
Top Ten Cars on Offer in the Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 Sale
The ten most expensive cars on sale in the Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 classic ar auction are:
|1||2006||Maserati MC12 Corse||Refer to department|
|2||1912||Simplex 50 HP 5 Passenger Torpedo Tourer||2,500,000 – 3,500,000|
|3||1958||BMW 507 Serries II Roadster||2,100,000 – 2,400,000|
|4||1965||Ferrari 275 GTS||1,650,000 – 1,950,000|
|5||1953||Siata 208S Spider||1,500,000 – 1,800,000|
|6||2005||Porsche Carrera GT||1,100,000 – 1,400,000|
|7||1957||Chrysler Ghia Super Dart 400||750,000 – 950,000|
|8||2021||Ferrari 812 GTS||680,000 – 750,000|
|9||1954||Chrysler Ghia GS-1 Coupe||600,000 – 800,000|
|10||1967||Ferrari 330 GTC||600,000 – 700,000|
2006 Maserati MC12 Corse
The most powerful Maserati of its time, the Maserati MC12 Corse was developed from the Modena firm’s GT1 racing car which stormed the world of endurance racing, winning the FIA GT World Championship twice, including in its 2005 debut season, when it was victorious in its maiden long-distance race, the renowned 24 Hours of Spa.
Limited to a dozen production cars, the Corse was reserved for valued Maserati customers. Although derived directly from the world-beating GT1, the Corse, intended for non-competitive track day use, was in fact more powerful than its racing variant.
The Corse’s naturally aspirated 6.0-liter V12 engine, mated to a six-speed paddle-operated sequential gearbox, delivers 755 hp since it was not limited by intake air restrictors mandatory for the GT1 racing car. As a result, its top speed is more than 200 mph, befitting a track-only supercar.
The MC12 on offer in the Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 sale, number 003 of the twelve, is ‘as new’, having covered a mere 123 miles over its lifetime which has been spent in private collections, and has never even been driven by its current owner.
Finished in ‘Blue Victory’ paintwork celebrating Maserati’s racing success, this Corse is presented in excellent cosmetic condition. Estimate on request — the five MC12s sold at auction since 2015 achieved between $1.7 and $3.2 million.
1912 Simplex 50hp 5 Passenger Torpedo Tourer
Almost a century younger than the MC12 is a veteran that was the pinnacle of early American sporting cars – a 1912 Simplex 50hp 5 Passenger Torpedo Tourer, estimate $2,500,000-3,500,000, first owned by US tennis superstar Eleanora Sears. She is considered one of the first female motorists in the US, one of the first women to drive a racing car, and the first woman to contest a speeding ticket.
A result within estimate would be sensational — Mercer Type 35s of the same period have achieved around $2.5 million but only a few pre-First World War era cars without a racing history have sold for above $2 million. It has been nearly 17 years since an original bodied Simplex has been offered publicly.
Other Top Cars in the Bonhams Scottsdale 2023 Auction
Some of the other top cars on offer in the Bonhams Scottsdale classic car auction include:
- an exquisite Mille Miglia-proven 1953 Siata 208S Spider;
- the John White Ramshead Collection, headlined by a transatlantic trio of Chrysler Ghia show cars;
- a 1958 BMW 507 Series II Roadster, one of the most collectible BMWs, with an optional hardtop, Rudge wheels, and Becker radio;
- a US-delivered, matching-numbers 1965 Ferrari 275 GTS, also with a desirable hardtop; and
- a 4,900-miles 2005 Porsche Carrera GT — one of 644 examples produced in US specification.
Scottsdale and Arizona Car Auctions 2023
Many auction houses have sales during the annual Scottsdale week in Arizona, USA, in late January 2023, including amongst others:
- Barett-Jackson: 21 to 29 January 2023 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Bonhams: 27 January 2023 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- RM Sotheby’s: 26 January 2023 in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Russo and Steele: 26 – 30 January 2023 in Scottsdale.
- Gooding & Company: no Scottsdale auction scheduled in 2023.
Scottsdale & Arizona Auction Results
- Barrett-Jackson: Top-Ten Cars and Top Charity Lot Results at Scottsdale 2023
- Bonhams: Scottsdale 2023 Top Auction Results, including the most-expensive pre-First World War car ever sold.
- RM Sotheby’s: Top Results Arizona 2023 Sale
Scottsdale & Arizona Pre-Sale Announcements
- Barrett-Jackson: Charity Lots
- Bonhams: Top Ten Lots
- Bonhams: Chrysler Ghia Cars
- RM Sotheby’s: LaFerrari and Shelby 427 Competition Cobra
- RM Sotheby’s: Top Ten Lots
Scottsdale & Arizona Sales — Previous Auction Results
- 2022: Barrett-Jackson (Charity Lots), Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- 2021: Overview, Barrett-Jackson (Charity Lots), Bonhams, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s
- 2020: Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Barrett-Jackson & Barrett-Jackson (Charity Lots).
- 2019 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2018 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2017 Scottsdale Auctions Results Overview
- 2016: Barrett-Jackson, Gooding, RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams
- 2015 Scottsdale Results Overview
- 2014 Scottsdale & Arizona Collector Car Auction Results